International Student Admission Requirements

Who is an International Student?

Minot State University is authorized by the U.S. government to issue SEVIS form I-20s and DS-2019s to assist non-immigrant international students to apply for F-1 student and J-1 exchange visitor visas, respectively.

The Office of Enrollment Services will issue I-20s to degree-seeking international students who meet all of the entrance requirements outlined below.

The Office of International Programs will issue DS-2019s to exchange students from partner institutions, who meet the requirements for their particular program. Exchange students should contact the International Office at their home institution for additional information.

Admission Components

Admission is determined by a selective process that includes consideration of English language proficiency, academic achievements, financial resources, and student visa eligibility. For information regarding Admission to specific graduate programs, please refer to the graduate catalog or contact the Minot State University Graduate School at or 1-800-777-0750 (Ext. 3250).

Prospective international freshmen and transfer international students may apply online at: Once the online application is submitted, the following supporting documentation must also be submitted by the appropriate deadline:

  • Application for Form I 20 and Certification of Financial Responsibility
  • Official Entrance Exam Score
  • Official Records Demonstrating Prior Academic Achievement
  • International Transfer Student Form (if applicable)
  • A $35 non-refundable application fee
  • Biographic Page of Passport
  • Supporting Financial Documents

Deadlines for Admission

Fall semester: June 1 for application and all supporting documentation. Spring semester: October 15 for application and all supporting documentation.

First-Year International Students (Freshman)

International students who have not already completed more than 24 credit hours of university level coursework are considered first year students. If you are transferring fewer than 24 semester hours of college or university credit, you MUST submit documents as a first year student, in additional the credits earned at the university level.

First year students must supply official secondary education records. The records must come directly from the issuing institution. Personal documents supplied by the student and/or notarized copies are not acceptable and will not be considered for admission.

Transfer International Students

International students who have previously attended a college or university and have completed at least 24 semester hours are considered transfer students. Students who have completed 24 or more credit hours of university level coursework MUST apply as a transfer student. International transfer students should follow the admissions procedures described above for international first-year students, but must also submit the following:

  • Transcripts from all colleges or universities previously attended. Students transferring from a university outside of the United States must submit an official transcript from the institution reflecting all courses attempted and grades received, attached to a professional course-by-course evaluation and English translation completed by World Education Services, Education Credential Evaluators, or American Education Research Corporation. Information about the evaluation services can be found at,, and

    Students must also provide an English translated copy of the institution’s catalog or a copy of the course descriptions or course syllabi from the catalog to aid in the evaluation of transfer credit. Since the evaluation of transfer can be lengthy, please be aware that the results of the evaluation may not be available prior to your arrival and registration at Minot State University.

    Regardless of the number of credits transferred, students must meet all general and specific graduation requirements of the university.

    Transfer students should have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
  • Transfer Clearance Form If you are transferring to Minot State from a college or university in the United States, you must submit a transfer form signed by you and the international coordinator at your current school.

Credit Transfer

Post-secondary coursework completed prior to attending Minot State is subject to review and approval by the department of the student’s chosen major and the Registrar’s Office. Evaluation of transfer credit normally will not be complete until the applicant has arrived on campus and has enrolled for coursework. Applicants seeking transfer credits for higher education work completed outside the United States may be asked to bring with them a detailed syllabus for each course, and they must be prepared to provide a full description of prior coursework to their academic adviser to facilitate the evaluation of transfer credits.

Entrance Exams

Academic success at Minot State University demands strong English language skills. Minot State requires all international students to provide an official Entrance before being accepted as a student. To be considered for admission, undergraduate applicants must submit one of the following:

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Scores taken within 2 years:
    • IBT Minimum Score of 71 or
    • Paper-based minimum score of 525
  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System) taken with 2 years:
    • Minimum score of 6.0 overall band
  • SAT Exam
    • Subscores: Writing and Language of 25 AND SAT Total of 920
  • ACT Exam
    • Composite score of 17 AND and English sub test score of 18
    • WritePlacer of 5
  • Level 9 Completion Certificate issued within the last 6 months by The Language Company.
  • Transferring from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university after 2 years of study, in good standing, OR completion of Composition I and II with a grade of at least a B.

Academic Achievement

Applicants should have completed their secondary education and obtained their high school diploma or school-leaving certificate. Minot State University will review all secondary and university-level coursework (if applicable) for academic rigor and trends in academic performance.

Financial Support

International students are not eligible for U.S. federal or state need-based financial assistance. Therefore, certification of adequate financial support to meet the needs during the period of enrollment at MSU is required of all international non-immigrant applicants. The student must be prepared to document on a yearly basis the ability to pay the following year’s tuition and fees, as well as the cost of living expenses. To prove sufficient financial resources, international applicants should complete the Statement of Financial Responsibility form and submit it with the required documentation proving sufficient financial support to cover the entire cost of living and studying in the U.S. for every year of the student’s program of study. Documentation must be provided before admission is offered. Additional information regarding this requirement can be found on the Minot State Office of International Programs website:

Mandatory International Student Fee

Please check with the Office of International Programs regarding any International Student fees.

Mandatory Health Insurance

Per the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education (SBHE) policy section 505, international students at Minot State University in F-1 or J-1 status are required* to be covered by the health insurance policy that has been designated by the Chancellor of the North Dakota State University System.

The insurance policy enrollment fee is automatically charged to an international student’s Minot State financial account at the beginning of each semester, and it must be paid with other tuition and student fees. This coverage is required from the time of registration at Minot State until termination or completion of program objectives. Any student who is not properly insured will be prohibited from participating in their program.

* Under NDUS Policy/Procedure 505, students from Canada and Norway are exempt from this requirement. However, students from Canada and Norway may opt to enroll in the NDUS designated policy if interested in obtaining coverage from a U.S. based insurance provider. Canadian students and parents should refer to for information regarding private and provincial health insurance considerations.

Other students might also be eligible for a waiver of the NDUS designated insurance if they are able to provide proof of comparable coverage. Waivers are granted in only a few exceptional situations. Instructions and a waiver form are provided at for those who wish to learn more about the process and requirements.

Health Records

Proof of Two Immunizations as required by the State Board of Higher Education: (Not required for admission consideration) Appropriate proof may be a copy of your childhood immunization records, school immunization records, documentation by your medical provider (personal physician, pediatrician, or county health department) that you had the respective disease(s) or the immunization and the dates.

  • Measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). Proof of immunization for measles, mumps, and rubella requires two doses of vaccine given no less than one month apart, or positive serologic tests.
  • Students ages 21 and younger must provide documentation of immunity against meningococcal disease given at or after age 16.

You can be immunized at a private health care provider or the Minot State Student Health Center. To submit your health records, please see A hold will be placed on the registration process of non-compliant students attempting to register for their next term at Minot State.


All students must complete the tuberculosis questionnaire at Minot State University. To submit your health records, please see A hold will be placed on the registration process of non-compliant students attempting to register for their next term at Minot State.

Student Visa Status

Information about international students in the U.S. is tracked using the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Students are assigned a SEVIS ID number which is located on the upper right hand corner of the I-20. The ID number begins with an N and has 10 digits. Students are required by Congress to pay for this tracking system, and this SEVIS fee is an additional fee, not to be confused with the visa application fee. All new students must pay the SEVIS fee after receiving the I-20 form from Minot State University, but prior to visiting the U.S. consulate for their F-1 visa interview. Students from Canada, who do not require a visa, must pay the SEVIS fee before their first entry to the U.S. and will be asked for a copy of the receipt at the port of entry. To pay the SEVIS fee, go to the following web site:

American government regulations allow students to enter the U.S. only within 30 days of the start date indicated on the I-20 form. Minot State campus housing is not available until just before the start of school, so if you arrive early you are responsible for your own accommodation. New and transfer international students are required to attend a welcome and F-1 regulation workshop specifically for international students at the beginning of their first semester at Minot State University. This orientation is in addition to the general Minot State New Student Orientation and is held a few days prior to the start of classes.

The I-20 form is first endorsed by a Minot State University’s Office of Enrollment Services at the time it is issued and then must be re-endorsed at the end of each semester by the Office of International Programs. These signatures confirm full-time student status and enable F-1 students and their dependents to enter and leave the country. International students planning to travel outside of the U.S. during their entire length of study at Minot State University must bring their I-20 form to Office of International Programs for verification and signature renewal at least 48 hours prior to travel.

Students must be making satisfactory academic progress toward their major field of study in order to have their I-20 form endorsed each semester. “Academic progress” means that the student must be taking coursework that satisfies the declared degree requirements and maintain a satisfactory grade point average. Students who fail to meet these requirements will not be eligible to have their I-20 form re-endorsed.