2018-2019 Academic Catalogs

Transfer Admission Requirements

Transfer students with less than 24 transferable semester hours of earned credit (remedial credit excluded)—follow First-Year (Freshmen) Admission Requirements listed in previous section.

To apply for admission, transfer students must submit:

  • A completed undergraduate Application for Admission
  • A $35 non-refundable application fee
  • Official college/university transcripts from all previous institutions
  • Student Health Records: (Not required for admission consideration)
    1. Measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). Proof of immunization for measles, mumps, and rubella requires two doses of vaccine given no less than one month apart, or positive serologic tests.
    2. Students ages 21 and younger must provide documentation of immunity against meningococcal disease given at or after age 16.
    3. All students must complete the tuberculosis questionnaire.

To submit the required documentation, go to www.minotstateu.edu/health/immunization.shtml. No student will be permitted to enroll in a subsequent term until immunization or documentation of a waiver is complete. 

Transfer applicants must present a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale with 24 or more completed semester credits. Transfer applicants transferring in less than 24 completed semester credits will be required to submit his/her official final high school transcript and ACT/SAT scores. ACT/SAT scores are only required for students who are younger than 25 on the first day of class.

Upon receipt of all transcripts, the Registrar’s Office determines those credits that will transfer, as well as those credits that may be applied to the University’s General Education Requirements. Plus or minus grades are not recorded. Evaluation of credits as they apply specifically to the student’s major is done in consultation with the department/division chair at the time of the student’s registration for his/her first term at Minot State University. Students enrolling at Minot State University with the intention of transferring to another institution to complete their educational objectives are advised to work closely with the transfer campus as soon as possible to determine which courses will transfer most effectively. Faxed copies of transcripts are not considered official. For more information visit www.minotstateu.edu/transfer.

Students who have attended other regionally-accredited colleges or universities will be admitted without restriction to Minot State University if they left the last transfer institution in good academic standing and if their college/university cumulative grade point average meets the Academic Progress standards outlined in this catalog. MSU accepts and transcribes all credits from regionally accredited institutions and all credit hours will be transcribed as semester hours. Failure to list all colleges, universities, and schools previously attended may result in denial of admission, dismissal, loss of credits, or other appropriate sanctions.

Academic Warning and Probation

If the transfer GPA is below the GPA average required for satisfactory academic progress, the student may be admitted on Academic Warning or Probation and conditions may be placed on his/her registration until the minimum cumulative grade point average requirement has been achieved.

Academic Suspension

If a transfer GPA has resulted in the student’s academic suspension from another college or university, the student may be admitted on Academic Probation at Minot State but only if the student has completed their previous institutional suspension policy or Minot State's suspension policy (whichever is greater).

New Student Orientation

New Minot State University students (freshman and transfer) are required to complete a new student orientation. To facilitate completion of this requirement the campus will hold Orientation events during the summer and before the spring semester. These events will introduce students to the University through information sessions, a campus tour, academic advising, and with the student registering for classes. A virtual option is also available for distance students. Information about Orientation events are sent electronically to all students who have been admitted to the University.

Regionally Accredited Agencies

  • MSCHE—Middle States Commission on Higher Education
  • NCA-HLC—North Central Association of Colleges and Schools/Higher Learning Commission
  • NEASC-CIHE—New England Association of Schools and Colleges/Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
  • SACSCOC—Southern Association of Colleges and Schools/Commission on Colleges
  • WASC-ACCJC—Western Association of Schools and Colleges/Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges
  • WSCUC—Western Association of Schools and Colleges/Senior College and University Commission

Minot State University accepts and transcribes all credits from regionally accredited institutions and credits on a course-by-course basis from non-regionally accredited institutions. To be transcribed, a course from a non-regionally accredited institution must be equated to an MSU course by the applicable department.

North Dakota University System (NDUS) General Education Transfer Agreement

The NDUS Transfer Agreement was developed to assist students who transfer within the eleven NDUS campuses and tribal colleges in North Dakota. Students who have completed the lower division General Education Requirement (GER) at one campus are deemed to have completed them at another. Students who have not completed GER prior to transfer will find that their General Education coursework taken at one campus will be acceptable as General Education course work at another, although some redistribution of courses may result.

Students transferring into Minot State University should contact the Registrar at the former campus to have verification of GER completion forwarded to the Registrar’s Office at Minot State University. Students transferring out of Minot State University should either complete the Minot State University GER or take courses in the Minot State University General Education inventory that are marked for transfer (e.g. ND:ENGL, ND:HUM, ND:LABSC). Please direct questions about the Transfer Agreement to the Registrar’s Office.

Under the terms of the NDUS Transfer Agreement, the Minot State GER contains the following five components. Credits taken elsewhere and coded as indicated will help to complete the Minot State GER:

  1. Communication (9 credits: 6 credits of English and 3 of Speech). Any NDUS course marked ND:ENGL may apply to the 6-credit English requirement, and any marked ND:SPEECH may apply to the Speech requirement.
  2. History & Social Science  (9 credits). 3 credits of History and 6 credits of Social Science). Any NDUS course marked ND:HIST and ND: SS
  3. Humanities  (6 credits). Any NDUS course marked ND:HUM. 
  4. Science with a lab (8 credits). Any NDUS course marked ND: LABSC
  5. Mathematics (4 credits). Any NDUS course marked ND:MATH which is at the level of college algebra or above.

For students who have not completed the general education requirements in transfer, the MSU Registrar’s Office will determine those credits which may be applied to the University’s General Education Requirements and issue a transcript summary to the student.

Limitations on Transfer Credit

Continuing Education Credit

Credits earned through continuing education opportunities on other campuses may be transferable. However, documentation must be provided to the Registrar’s Office prior to their acceptance.

Graduate Credit

A student may not apply transfer graduate credit toward requirements for an associates or baccalaureate degree at Minot State University.

Military Credit

Basic training courses are accepted in transfer and fulfill the PSR3 Individual Well-Being category of General Education requirements at the University. All other military credit and work experience is evaluated using the ACE, American Council on Education, guide recommendations on an individual basis. Military experience must be equated to a Minot State University course. 

Religion Course Credit

No more than six semester credits in doctrinal religion will be accepted in transfer. Doctrinal religion courses that are accepted can be used as electives only.

Credit From Two-Year Institutions

Credit typically transfers from two-year institutions to Minot State University. Department chairs determine applicability of courses in transfer and the Registrar’s Office determines transferability of courses that fulfill General Education requirements. In order to be awarded a baccalaureate degree, a student must complete a minimum of 60 semester hours at a four-year institution, of which 30 semester hours must be earned through Minot State University.

Remedial Credit

Transfer credit earned at the remedial level will be transcribed. However, credit(s) will not count toward earned credit with Minot State University or be calculated in a student’s GPA.

Institutional Credit

Credit is evaluated on the basis by which the credit was initially awarded by the sending institution. MSU accepts credits earned via a nationally standardized examination as per NDUS policy. Credit by examination, credit awarded via placement, or life experience credit awarded by another institution is not accepted in transfer.