2018-2019 Academic Catalogs

Grading System

Traditional Letter Grading

These grades are reported in letter symbols, each of which carries an honor point value per resident credit attempted. Honor points are used to measure a student’s scholastic achievement. (See also “Computation of Grade Point Average.”)

Significance Grade Honor Points
Excellent A4
Failure (No Credit)F0

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grading

Grades of Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory, rather than the traditional grades of A through F, are used in some courses at the University. A grade of “S” grants credit toward graduation but does not affect a student’s grade point average. A grade of “U” also does not affect the grade point average and does not grant credit toward graduation. The grading basis for all courses, including these offered strictly on an S/U basis, are available in Campus Connection by selecting the icon for additional course details.

Elective S/U Grading - Students may request to take a course on an S/U basis that is normally letter graded (A-F). The request must be made before the last day to drop a course for that particular session (full term, first eight weeks, second eight weeks).

The S/U option is open to all students in good academic standing who have achieved junior-year status with 60 or more semester hours. Students on Academic Warning or Academic Probation are prohibited from pursuing this option.

No more than fifteen semester hours of elective S/U course work can be applied toward a baccalaureate degree. The S/U option may not be used in those courses to be applied to the student’s major, minor, General Education requirements, or the professional education sequence. However, one S/U course may be applied to each area of concentration.

Additional S/U Grading - The S/U grading option is used to transcript nationally recognized academic tests such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), Advanced Placement (AP), and the American Council on Education (ACE). While individual test scores may be transcribed at the University, it is the responsibility of the student to ensure fulfillment of a program requirement through the department/division chair.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading is also used to record graduate level professional development activities numbered 2000 on the transcript, indicating workshop credit.

Other Symbols

A student’s record, or transcript, may contain additional symbols:

Symbol Description
WThe student Withdrew from the course.
IThe student earned an Incomplete grade in the course. (See “Policy on Incomplete Grades.”)
XThe course remains in progress.
SThe student earned a Satisfactory mark in the course.
UThe student earned an Unsatisfactory mark in the course and earned no credit as a result.
PThe student earned a Pass mark in the course.
AUThe student Audited the course and earned no credit.
RThe student Repeated this course at a later date.
#The student’s grade in this course replaces a previously earned grade. (Refers back to the R sign.)
ZThe course is offered for no credit, no grade.
NRThe grade has not yet been reported.

Policy on Incomplete Grades

An incomplete grade may be requested by a student who has been in attendance, has done satisfactory work (C or better) during the term, and whose work is incomplete for reasons found to be satisfactory to the instructor. A Course Completion Agreement detailing the work to be completed and expected completion date must be signed and dated by both the student and instructor. The original copy of the agreement must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office by the grade submission deadline. A copy of the agreement should be retained by the instructor and student. If a grade change is not received by the Registrar’s Office prior to the 1st Monday of the following month, the “I” grade will be automatically changed to the official grade as assigned on the agreement. Extensions will not be granted.

The grade of Incomplete (I) is an administrative grade that may only be entered by the Registrar’s Office with the exception of courses designated as practicum, internship, independent study, student teaching, field experience, or study abroad. A  grade of “X” (In Progress) is available for 595, 598, and 599 courses.

The instructor will submit the grade earned at the time of grade posting if they choose not to sign a Course Completion Agreement or the student does not request an Incomplete grade.

The instructor may complete the contract on behalf of the student for circumstances beyond the student’s or faculty control. A summary must be attached to include the instructor communication attempts or actual communication with the student.

APC - 08-09 & FS - 4/16/09

Policy on Repeating Courses

Students may repeat courses taken at Minot State or those originally taken at another institution, but should be aware of the following guidelines:

  • All courses must be repeated through MSU for an improved grade. Repeating a course at another institution will average both grades in GPA calculations. Both grades will be maintained on the student’s transcript. Transfer courses must be equated to MSU courses and must have been completed prior to enrolling at MSU to be eligible for the repeat policy.
  • When repeating a course through MSU, the most recent grade will be included in GPA calculations.
  • Courses that have been failed in a face-to-face format cannot be repeated via correspondence.
  • Students cannot repeat courses for an improved GPA after a degree has been posted.
  • Transcripts will automatically reflect repeated courses upon conclusion of a semester. Students are asked to contact the Registrar’s Office if they believe a repeated course has not been properly identified as a repeat on the transcript due to changes in course title or course numbering.

The student who wants to repeat a course no longer offered in the college curriculum must obtain permission to substitute a currently offered course from the chairperson of the division or department responsible for the original course.

DC - 8/27/14

Policy on Failure in Sequential Courses

Students who fail a course which is the prerequisite in a sequence of courses will not be allowed to continue in that sequence until a passing grade is received in the course.

Computation of Grade Point Average

The grade point average (GPA) is computed by dividing the number of honor points earned by the number of semester credits attempted for which grades of A, B, C, D, or F were given. Honor points for each course are calculated by multiplying the number of semester credits by the points awarded for the grade achieved in the course. For example, a student who received an A, B, C, and D in four 3-credit courses would have the following GPA:

A x 3 credits = 4 x 3 = 12 honor points
B x 3 credits = 3 x 3 = 9 honor points
C x 3 credits = 2 x 3 = 6 honor points
D x 3 credits = 1 x 3 = 3 honor points
Total = 12 credits = 30 honor points = 30 honor points/12 credits = 2.50 GPA

GPAs are used in determining eligibility to work on campus, to receive financial aid, to continue in a course of study, to participate in varsity competition, for membership in organizations, and to petition for overload.

  • Cumulative GPA accounts for all academic credit earned at Minot State University and at any other college or university attended.
  • Term GPA reflects the student’s academic average for an individual term.
  • Major and Minor GPAs account for those required and elective credits which will be applied to the major or minor. The same procedure is used in computing the averages for the elementary competence and concentration areas.
  • Education Sequence GPAs are computed based on the completed semester credits for courses in the education core.

Grade Reporting

Students may access their grades through CampusConnection approximately one week following finals week. Discrepancies on transcripts must be brought to the attention of the Registrar’s Office within one year of the term in question.

Midterm Grading

Faculty members are required to report a midterm grade for each student. Letters will be sent to students with deficient grades. Ds, Fs, and Us are considered deficient grades. Students access their midterm grades in Campus Connection. Students receiving midterm deficiencies are encouraged to seek assistance from their instructors or other support services on the campus available to them. As a last resort, students have the option of dropping the course, following course drop procedures and published deadlines.

Note: Midterm grades are not a part of the student’s official record, and they will not appear on the student’s transcript.

DC - 2/27/13

Policy on Academic Reassessment of Past Grades

This policy pertains only to former Minot State University students returning to the University as pre-baccalaureate undergraduate students after an absence of five or more years. It provides those students an opportunity to have their academic standing reflect the increased maturity and improved level of academic performance gained since the interruption of studies at Minot State. It is designed to facilitate the return to good academic standing of students who have accumulated large honor point deficits in the early stages of their career at the University.

The following eligibility criteria must apply:

  1. The student must be one whose previous academic performance at Minot State University as measured by cumulative grade point average (GPA) was less than 2.00.
  2. The student has returned to the University as a pre-baccalaureate undergraduate student after an absence of five or more years.
  3. The student has demonstrated a renewed academic interest and effort upon returning to Minot State by earning a first semester cumulative grade point average of at least 2.00 as a full-time student or at least a 2.00 in the first 12 semester credits completed as a continuing part-time student.
  4. The student must be currently enrolled and in good standing at the time the request for academic reassessment is processed.
  5. Grades eligible for exclusion are those earned five or more years ago at Minot State University. This policy does not apply to transfer credit from other institutions.

Students who meet the eligibility criteria may request to have “F” grades previously earned at Minot State University excluded from their total credits earned and from grade point average (GPA) computations for the purpose of meeting scholastic continuance and graduation requirements. Excluded “F” grades, however, will remain on the permanent transcript. The courses for which reassessment is sought must be discussed in consultation with the Academic Advisor of Record and must be approved by the student’s major department chair and by the Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs. Students with more than one major need approval from each appropriate chair and Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs. This policy may be used only once during a student’s enrollment at Minot State University and cannot be revoked by the student after approval. Academic reassessment must be requested prior to the awarding of a baccalaureate degree.

Students in the Teacher Education program need to be aware that the North Dakota Education Standards and Practices Board (ESPB) has the authority to determine how GPA is calculated for teacher certification purposes. ESPB has had a practice of determining GPA based upon ALL college courses taken by the applicant. ESPB adds all grades, including “F” grades, which have been reassessed by institutions to determine if a student meets the 2.5 minimum grade point average requirement for certification.

Grade Appeal Procedures

The evaluation of student performance as a grade is recorded on the student’s University transcript as part of the student’s permanent record. The student’s grade is determined by the faculty member responsible for the course and is based upon factors related to achievement of the course objectives. The course grade is considered final unless an appropriate appeal is filed by the student. For the student who is dissatisfied with a grade and has reason to believe the grade issued is incorrect, the following appeal procedure is provided by the University:

Step 1

Within sixteen (16) weeks following the date of the original posting of the grade, the student shall confer with the instructor who issued the grade and outline the reasons why he/she believes the grade is incorrect. (If the faculty member is unavailable, the student is expected to contact the chairperson or Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs within this same time period.) Following the student-faculty conference, the instructor shall advise the student of the outcome of the course grade review and shall process a grade change if appropriate.

Step 2

If the student still considers the grade to be incorrect, the student may formally appeal the grade to the department/division chair in which the faculty resides within fourteen (14) days following the completion of Step 1. Following the student-department/division chair conference, the chair shall advise the student of the outcome of the course grade review and shall process a grade change if appropriate.

Step 3

If the student still considers the grade to be incorrect, the student may formally appeal the grade at the administrative level within fourteen (14) days following the completion of Step 2. The Step 3 appeal process requires the student to obtain the procedure to be used in this step from the office of the Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs.

Step 4

If the student is still dissatisfied, the student may request that the case be reviewed at a hearing by the Student Rights Committee. The formal request for the hearing must be received by the Registrar within fourteen (14) days after the completion of Step 3 and show documentation of Steps 1, 2, and 3.

The Student Rights Committee will not review courses that have already been excluded from a students' GPA because they have been repeated.

The decision of the Student Rights Committee is considered final.

APC - 3/24/15 & FS - 3/26/15

Student Rights Committee

A student who fails to withdraw from school or who fails to drop a course prior to the first day of final exams is directed to the Student Rights Committee for individual review. Appeals are only granted for extenuating circumstances that are related to the course being appealed (See Grade Appeal Procedure).

Requests to the Student Rights Committee must be in writing, and it is the responsibility of the student to provide evidence supporting his/her request. The decision of the Student Rights Committee is considered final.

Information is available and requests are submitted through the Registrar’s Office or www.minotstateu.edu/records.