2018-2019 Academic Catalogs

General Information


Credit is defined in terms of semester hours. In addition, credits remain on the student’s record indefinitely.

For all MSU degree programs and courses bearing academic credit, the "credit hour" is defined as the amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than:

  1. one 50-minute period of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately sixteen weeks for one semester or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time. In courses, such as those offered online, in which "seat time" does not apply, a credit hour may be measured by an equivalent amount of work, as demonstrated by student achievement; or
  2. at least an equivalent amount of work (typically two to three hours) for other academic activities as established by the institution, including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours

APC - 2/3/15 & FS - 2/19/15

Full-Time Student Defined

A full-time undergraduate load for a fall, spring, or summer semester is 12 credits.


Students who wish to attempt more than 18 credits in a term must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Students may not register for more than 22 credits per term. The overload approval form must be signed by the student's advisor, department/division chair and must also contain the division/department stamp. Return the completed form to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

FS - 4/16/09

Classification of Students

Students are classified by year according to the number of credits earned as follows:

Year Credits
First-Year Student (Freshman) 0-23
Senior90 or More


Examinations in University courses are of two kinds:

  1. Instructional tests administered by instructors at various times during a term, with or without prior notice
  2. Final examinations administered at the close of each term in accordance with a prepared schedule of examinations.


Special examinations as administered at Minot State University serve two purposes: to meet a requirement or to earn credit by examination.

Credit by Exam

Under certain circumstances, a currently registered student may receive credit by examination for a course in which he/she has not been regularly enrolled. Each department or division may determine those courses, if any, for which credit may be earned by examination. Credit by examination may be awarded through nationally standardized tests or through institutionally devised tests.

Nationally standardized tests such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the Advanced Placement (AP) examinations, or the National League of Nursing (NLN) examinations, may yield scores which earn lower division, satisfactory credits for the student. Students pay a test fee directly to the test service. MSU follows NDUS procedure which details the minimum credit-granting score, number of semester credits, and course(s) or type of course(s) to be awarded.

Computer-based CLEP testing is available on the Minot State University campus by appointment only. Contact the Center for Extended Learning for scheduling and registration information. An administrative fee applies for computer-based CLEP testing, in addition to any examination fee paid to the test service. Interested students may inquire at the Registrar's Office for specific information on how credit earned by examination may be applied to particular degree requirements, including General Education Requirements. Official score reports must be sent to the Registrar’s Office before any satisfactory credits are posted to the student’s permanent record. Credits earned by standardized examination do not carry letter grade or honor point values, nor are they considered credits earned in residence. Such credits posted to the Minot State University transcript may not transfer to other institutions.

Institutionally devised tests serve to validate prior learning in order to award college credit. Such tests may be either department examinations or validation examinations.

Department Examinations may be available to regularly enrolled students who wish to establish Minot State University credit for acquired proficiency in a given subject matter. Requests should be addressed to the chairperson of the division or department overseeing the corresponding courses who will then determine if credit by examination is an appropriate alternative for the student. In some cases CLEP may be advised. High school transcripts or other evidence must first be presented to document qualification for a department examination.

A Petition to Earn Credit-by-Examination must then be obtained from the Registrar’s Office and completed as per instructions. A nonrefundable special exam fee of 50% of the regular per credit charge for each course is assessed and must be paid prior to taking the department examination.

Passed examinations establish satisfactory credits which are recorded on the student’s permanent record. However, no letter grades or honor points are posted to the permanent record. Credit established by department examinations will not count toward a student’s term load, nor are they considered credits earned in residence. Such credits posted to the Minot State transcript may not transfer to other institutions.

Validation Examinations may be available to regularly enrolled students who wish to establish credit for Minot State University courses that correspond to learning acquired at non-accredited and nondegree institutions. Evidence of having satisfactorily completed the corresponding course work must first be presented in the form of a transcript.

A Petition to Earn Credit-by-Examination must be obtained from the Registrar’s Office and completed as per instructions. A nonrefundable special exam fee of 50% of the regular per credit charge for each course is assessed and must be paid prior to taking the validation examination.

A committee of three faculty members appointed by the chairperson of the area offering the course(s) will administer and evaluate the examination. The majority opinion will prevail in determining if the student has passed. Such examinations must be searching and comprehensive. Passed examinations establish satisfactory credits which are recorded on the student’s permanent record. However, no letter grades or honor points are posted to the permanent record. Credit established by validation examinations will not count toward a student’s term load, nor are they considered credits earned in residence.

Petitions to take these examinations must be submitted by the student during the first term in residence. The chairperson of the area offering the course(s) will determine when the examination is to be taken.

Changes of Name/Address/Phone Number

Students are required to advise the University in writing of any changes of name, address or phone number. Contact information (address and phone number) should be updated using Campus Connection under Personal Information. Changes of name are processed in the Registrar's Office via a completed Name Change form with supporting documentation. Concerns about release of directory information should be directed to the Registrar’s Office.

Students are required to update their mailing and home addresses within 30 days of moving. If a student’s address is determined to no longer be valid, a hold will be placed on the student’s account until he/she updates his/her address.

Email Policy

Electronic mail (email), postal, and campus mail are official means by which the University may communicate with students. MSU exercises the right to send emails to students via the students’ Minot State University email account and expects that the received emails be read at least weekly.

Restricted Directory

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) designates certain information related to you as “Directory Information.” Students may request to prevent the release of directory information to third party individuals by notifying the MSU Registrar’s Office by completing the Student Rights to Privacy form found on the Registrar’s Office website. Failure to notify the Registrar’s Office as outlined above indicates implied consent to release directory information. Minot State University has identified the following as directory information:

  • Name, campus address, home address, telephone listing, and campus e-mail address;
  • Photograph;
  • Student’s major(s) and the department, division, and college in which the student is enrolled;
  • Classification as a first-year student (freshman), sophomore, junior, senior, graduate student, or special student;
  • Enrollment Status: half-time, part-time, or full-time;
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports;
  • Weight and height of athletic team members;
  • Dates of attendance at Minot State University;
  • Degrees and awards received, including selection to the President’s Honor Roll, honorary organizations, and graduation with honors;
  • The most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student.

Student Directory Information

Annual Notification of Rights under FERPA

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include the following:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.

    Students should submit to the Registrar, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading.

    Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his/her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

    One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his/her professional responsibility. School officials are those members of an institution who act in the student’s educational interest within the limitations of their “need to know.” These may include faculty, administration, clerical and professional employees, other persons who manage student education record information including student employees or agents, and employees of the North Dakota Attorney General's Office providing support or representation to Minot State University. Examples of a school official may include:
    1. a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff);
    2. a person or company with whom the University has contracted, eg. attorney, auditor, collection agency;
    3. a person serving on an institutional governing board;
    4. a person or student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his/her tasks.
    Other disclosures allowable without written consent are:
    1. to institutions in which the student seeks to enroll or is enrolled so long as the disclosure is for purposes relating to the student’s enrollment or transfer;
    2. to authorized representatives of federal, state, or local educational authorities;
    3. to accrediting agencies;
    4. in connection with a health or safety emergency;
    5. to comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
    6. concerning information considered “Directory Information.”
  4. The right to refuse to permit the designation of all of the aforementioned categories of personally identifiable information as “Directory Information.”
  5. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Minot State University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue SW
    Washington, DC 20202

A copy of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 is on file and available for inspection at the following campus locations:

Library                                  Director of Residence Life
Student Success Center       V.P. of Student Affairs
Academic School Offices      Student Government Association
Registrar’s Office                  Student Development Center


Unofficial Transcript
Current students and students enrolled at MSU since fall 2005 can acquire unofficial transcripts online, at no charge, using Campus Connection.

Official Transcripts

Students can request an official transcript online, in writing by mail, fax, or in person. Transcripts cannot be released without the student’s written signature unless requested online through Campus Connection. Transcripts cannot be requested by email or telephone. A service charge does apply per transcript copy, with additional charges for special ordering options. For additional information please visit www.minotstateu.edu/records/transcripts.shtml.

All transcripts contain a student’s entire academic record including undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education coursework.

Student Outcomes Assessment

The university routinely conducts campus-based studies of student achievement, student attitudes, student satisfaction, and professional and career development of students. These studies are grouped under the heading of “Outcomes Assessment.” Participation in outcomes assessment activities is expected of all students.

While every student is not selected for every campus assessment activity, students can anticipate that they will be involved in the assessment of the General Education outcomes and that at a minimum, graduating seniors will be required by their major departments to participate in assessing the effectiveness of their major program. Alumni will be surveyed to assess job placement rates. Assessment activities may include standardized testing, faculty developed exams, surveys, portfolios of student work, group or individual interviews, or observation of performance activities. There may be fees associated with standardized tests. Fees will be indicated in the term schedule when they are associated with a particular course.

Assessment results are used to enhance teaching and learning, improve the design and implementation of programs and curricula, and improve the quality of the educational experience for future generations of MSU students.