2018-2019 Academic Catalogs

Residence Life


All vehicles parked on the campus must have a parking permit. Permits are available in the Parking Office in Facilities Management. The cost is $65 for reserved parking space for faculty, staff and students for the academic year. Parking areas are identified as "E" for Employees, "S" for Students, and "S/E" for lots where employees or students may park.  Refunds are available by the semester, if one no longer wishes to park on campus. Campus parking is supervised; tickets will be issued and cars improperly parked will be towed at the owner’s expense. Further information may be obtained by contacting the Parking Office at the mail room/information center in the  Administration Building or at 701-858-3318.


Residence Hall housing is available for students desiring to reside on campus. Students must be enrolled Full Time in on-campus classes to be eligible for on campus housing.

Required Housing Policy

University housing can provide both educational and social opportunities important to the success of students. Studies show that students who live on campus are more likely to complete their degrees, are more involved with university activities, and graduate at higher rates than students living off campus.

To promote student success, Minot State University requires undergraduate students who have earned fewer than 24 semester hours and are under 20 years of age prior to the first day of the current semester, to live on campus and purchase a meal plan. Our residence hall programs will help you meet people, grow as a person, enjoy residential life, and to have the experience of a lifetime on campus.

Requests for exemption to the Required University Housing Policy should be directed to the Office of Residence Life. Requests must be received by July 1 for Fall Semester and November 1 for Spring Semester. Exceptions may include students who are:

  • 20 years or older at the start of semester
  • Married
  • Commuting from the permanent home of your parents or legal guardian (within 25 miles of campus)
  • A veteran of military service or active duty personnel
  • A single parent
  • Transferring more than 24 credits to MSU

Exceptions may require verification involving the following documentation for each respective category: copy of marriage license; signed statement from parent or guardian; copy of DD Form 214 or Military ID; copy of child/children’s birth certificate(s).

The University Housing Committee will review each request for exemption and will notify the student of approval or denial within 10 business days of the request and submission of all required supporting documents.

The residence hall program, just as all programs at Minot State University, is administered, without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, age or sexual orientation.

Residence Halls

Each residence hall has lounge areas for recreation and entertaining, coin operated laundry facilities, a small kitchen area for personal cooking, and landline service that is offered for $8.00 per month. Cable TV and internet access are available in each room. Unless otherwise noted, each room has two beds, a desk and shelving unit, a closet, and dresser drawers. As of Fall 2016 all residence halls are co-ed. Cook, McCulloch and Dakota are community style halls. Lura Manor and Crane Hall rooms are arranged in suites (two double rooms and a private bath per suite).

No soliciting is permitted in the residence halls without the approval of the administration. Pets are not permitted in campus housing facilities.

Room Rates

Residence halls are contracted for the academic year or spring only. Room fees are subject to change by action of the State Board of Higher Education. Board and room rates do not include semester breaks.

Community Style Residence Halls

Hall Name Average Rate
Cook, McCulloch and Dakota Halls
Double Occupancy $1059.00
Single room, if available $1890.00

Suite Style Residence Hall

Hall Name Average Rate
Lura Manor and Crane Hall
Double Occupancy$1288.00
Single room, if available$2233.00

In case of damage to a room or if the room is left in unsatisfactory condition, the student will be held liable for repairs and cleaning. Housing for male and female students is also available during summer sessions. Housing may not be available during semester breaks.

Reservation Fees

A reservation fee of $100.00 is required to confirm a room assignment. This fee is payable in the form of a check, money order, credit card, or bank draft to Minot State University, and should be attached to the housing form, and sent to Residence Life and Housing. Students may apply apply online for housing using credit card or check through their Campus Connection. Students may also pay for the reservation fee over the phone with a credit card. Applications will be processed on a first come first serve basis.

Refund of Room Fees

Fees sent to the University for a room reservation will be refunded if a student submits a contract cancellation form by June 1 for full year contracts and December 15 for spring semester only contracts. Students who are re contracting will be refunded 50% of their reservation fee if they submit a contract cancellation form by June 1. After June 1 for the fall semester, reservation fees are non-refundable.

Occasionally, a student will have to leave the residence hall during the academic year. The unused portion of the room rental will be refunded on a weekly basis when the student leaves school during the semester because of illness, or due to an emergency in the immediate family of the student or complete withdraw from the university. For students who choose to move off campus during the contract term (full year or spring only), students will be responsible for 50% of the remaining room and board contract. A room occupied any part of a week will count as one full week.

Campus Apartment Housing

There are 70 student apartment units on campus, six of which are designed for accessibility by persons with disabilities. Two-bedroom, one-bedroom, and efficiency units are available.

Apartments are unfurnished but each contains a stove and a freezer-refrigerator. A laundry room with coin-operated machines is provided.

Rents range from $417.00 to $640.00 per month. Students desiring apartment housing should contact the Residence Life Office.

Photo ID

Eligibility and Procedures

Following are the eligibility requirements and the procedural steps necessary to obtain a Student or Faculty/Staff ID Card. Please refer to this information as the student guide to helping individuals better understand who is eligible to receive an ID card and how, when and where it can be obtained. ID Cards can be obtained in the Photo ID office located on the second floor of the Student Center.

An individual must meet one of the following criteria prior to obtaining an ID card:

  • Students (undergraduate, graduate and professional) must be admitted or registered with the University. Note: University entitlements are based on current status, not future status.
  • Faculty, academic staff, staff, and graduate students must be entered into Campus Connection.

A good indication that an individual is in Campus Connection and is ready to receive a card is when they have received an official University e-mail address.

Terms and Conditions

Your ID card is the official identification card of Minot State University and, as such, may be required for admission to University functions and certain contracted services. Your card is valuable and should be treated like cash or a credit card. Violations of the following terms and conditions may result in confiscation of the card. The card must be returned upon request. ID card information and photos may be used for various official campus uses. A government issued photo ID must be presented at the time of card issuance.

Minot State University issues an ID card to all registered students and employed faculty and staff subject to the following:

  1. The ID card is the property of the Minot State University. The University reserves the right to revoke use of the card or any of its accounts at any time. The card is non-transferable and may be used only by the individual to whom it is registered.
  2. The ID card, transactions related to the use of the card, and any account balances are the sole responsibility of the individual Cardholder until the University is notified in writing that the card is lost or stolen. For all online accounts, the Cardholder will not be held liable for any unauthorized transaction which occurs after the University has been notified of a loss, theft, or possible unauthorized use of the card.
  3. Money deposited into the debit account (Beaver Bucks Account) is subject to the terms and conditions of the debit account. Any money left in your individual Beaver Bucks Account will revert to the ID card Office two (2) years after becoming inactive. An application for deposit and a complete copy of these terms and conditions can be obtained at the ID Card Office.
  4. The Cardholder will not damage or alter the card in any manner. This includes, but is not limited to, punching holes in or affixing stickers to the card.
  5. The Cardholder is solely responsible for all fees associated with the card including the cost of replacing a physically damaged, lost or stolen card. A non-refundable fee of $20 is charged to replace a lost or stolen card.

Dining Services

Students have a variety of options to accommodate their schedules; meals served in the Beaver Creek Café are all-you-care-to-eat. We offer three (3) entrees at lunch and dinner, including vegetarian options, and two (2) soups daily. A changing choice of side items is offered along with the main entrees daily. A rotating grill option and deli bar provide additional choices at lunch and dinner. Our daily entrees for lunch and dinner have included; pastas, tacos, wrapped sandwiches, baked potatoes, pancakes, omelets and pizza. A full salad bar in offered at lunch and dinner. Students will also find fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain breads and cereals, dairy products, fish, poultry, lean meats, soft-serve ice cream with assorted toppings. Our own bakery on campus provides daily deliveries of scrumptious pastries and desserts. An endless variety of beverages from Coke, Pepsi and Sunkist are also available. The food service area is an integral part of the residence hall community. We offer a variety of options at affordable prices. By letting us do the menu planning, shopping, preparation and clean-up, students have more time for studying, campus activities, work or relaxation! All residence hall students are required to participate in a meal plan. Additional information on various plans can be obtained from the Student Center Director's Office in the Student Center, 2nd floor between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Dining Service Meal Plans, 2018–2019

Students living in a residence hall on campus specify a meal plan through the housing selection process with the Office of Residence Life. Residents are required to have a meal plan and may choose from unlimited and block plans that include flex dollars and guest meals. Service hours are daily from 7:00 AM – 10:00 PM.  We think students will appreciate the nutritional and dietary benefits of lighter and more frequent meals during the day. It's great if a student likes to snack or keep irregular hours. Additional information on various plans can be obtained from the Student Center Director's Office in the Student Center, 2nd floor between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Dining plan meals are served in the Beaver Creek Café, located on the 2nd floor of the Student Center during the following hours.

    Sunday - Saturday 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Flex dollars and guest passes are included in all meal plans. Flex Dollars is a declining balance program that allows students to make purchases at ALL food service locations across campus. Guest passes may be used for a friend or a visiting family member. Flex dollars and guest passes are not re-loadable.

Dining plans are purchased and activated at the Student Center Director's office located on the 2nd floor of the Student Center. All dining plans, as well as included Flex Dollars and guest passes expire at the end of the semester.

Beaver Bucks

Beaver Bucks is a debit service, which is linked to the MSU ID card, available to students, faculty and staff. Beaver Bucks can be used at Buckshots, The Beaver Creek Café, Convenience Store, Copies for U, and Barnes & Noble Bookstore at MSU. A statement of all transactions can be provided for all cardholders upon request. Meal plans and Beaver Bucks are activated in the Student Center Directors office. Your account will remain active until you graduate or terminate employment with the University. Beaver Bucks deposits to all accounts can be made through the Student Center Director's Office, Monday–Friday during regular business hours.